Happy Monday all! Usually this is not people’s favorite time of the week, but there is that familiar buzz in the New Jersey/New York area, and in actuality, across the world. Runners and non-runners know what we are talking about – yes, it is here,
Here at the New Jersey Running Company, we are already jumping for joy and ready to have a blast with the New York City Marathon (NYCM). After all, this is one of the most magical weeks of the year. Our Twitter Feed and Facebook Page are alive with runners talking about Sunday. It cannot come soon enough. As part of this week, we want to help you prepare. We will be talking about everything from expos to spectating to dealing with daylight savings time (yes it is this weekend as well)!
If there are topics, information, or questions that you have, let us know! We will make sure you have them answered and are ready for the BIG DAY!
So let us start with some basic logistics to remember about this week. Many of you may already have this set, but it is easy to get flustered and confused. Thus, we wanted to give you a place to come throughout the week to check on what you need to remember and know. The NYCM Website is your go to of course, but we want to be able to help you in any way we can as well. Get excited, but be prepared. This is the week of the year!
Five Logistical Topics to Remember
1) Before we get to race day, we hope you will all join us for a three day party akin to a runner’s dream also known as the EXPO. The ING New York City Marathon Expo will be held at the Jacob Javits Convention Center, Eleventh Avenue at 38th Street, Hall 3B and spans three days and 28 hours. You do not have to be running in the event to come check it out, and believe us it is worth taking the time to go! We will be there with our affiliate stores ready to help and provide encouragement in anyway. Of course, we will also be selling all your last minute race needed items
- Thursday, October 31; 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (packet pick up until 7:00 p.m.)
- Friday, November 1st; 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (packet pickup until 7:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, November 2nd: 9:00 a.m. – 5:oo p.m. (packet pickup until 5:00 p.m.)
2) Remember Day Light Savings. On Sunday November 3rd at 2:00 a.m. day light savings ends! This means that we fall back an hour. So when you are used to it being 6 a.m. it is now only 5 a.m. Bonus – we get an extra hour of sleep and it is going to be lighter out when the runners start running.
3) Start Times. Now that we know we do not want to be an hour early, it is important to understand when the race actually begins. Given the large number of runners participating in NYCM, the start is broken into waves. Depending upon your projected finish times etc., runners have been assigned a corral that will start at a specific time. You can read all about it here. Bag drop off and corral openings correspond to the start time. But just a quick break down
- 8:30 a.m. start: the Wheelchair Division
- 8:55 a.m. start: the Handcycle Category and Select Ambulatory Athletes with Disabilities
- 9:10 a.m. start: The Professional Women
- 9:40 a.m. start: Professional Men Start with Wave 1
- 10:05 a.m. start: Wave 2
- 10:30 a.m. start: Wave 3 starts at 10:30
- 10:55a.m. start: Wave 4
4) Transportation. Hopefully if you are running, you have your transportation all set up NYCM required runners to sign up for transportation by July 31st – see here. If you signed up, you can check out all the details on MY NYRR page. If you did not sign up, they assume that you do not need official transportation and you then need to arrange your own.
5) Security Measures – This year at the NYCM there will be added security. Make sure to check out the security page so you know what to expect. As for some of the basics:
- More Baggage Checks – This year you can expect more baggage checks! This includes bag checks at the expo, to save time NYCM recommends not bringing a bag to the expo.
- Family Reunion – All family and friends entering the Family Reunion area post race will also be subject to inspection (including bag inspection). NYCM advises runners to prepare for this in advance by predetermining a meeting spot outside of the reunion area.
- Prohibited Items – There is an entire list of prohibited items that are not allowed on race day including hydration vests and Camelbaks. Make sure to check this out.
We are just starting to get our feet wet! Let us know what would be helpful to hear about this week and we will try our best to answer your questions!