There are two reasons to celebrate today. . . It’s Friday and it’s National Peanut Butter Day! Let’s all hail one of our favorite and most nutritious snacks!
Peanut butter is a staple in 90% of American households. Here are some quick facts about peanut butter:
- it takes about 540 peanuts to make one jar of peanut butter
- peanuts are legumes, the same family as beans
- peanuts have more protein, niacin and folate than any other nut; they are cholesterol free
- the average American eats 3 pounds of peanut butter per year
- Americans will spend about $800 million on peanut butter this year
- the average American child will eat 1,500 PB&J sandwishes before they turn 18
We runners know that peanut butter makes a wonderful and nutritious breakfast and is a great snack. For those who are allergic to peanuts, try sunflower or almond butter. . . also delicious!
So, whether you like the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or on an apple, with bananas, or just by the spoonful, go to your fridge and celebrate National Peanut Butter Day!