Compared to its predecessor (the 210), the Forerunner 220 has a thinner, sleeker design and a high resolution color display. It comes in black/red or white/purple and with or without a heart rate monitor. This model includes all of the features of the 210 plus a few new, and pretty awesome, ones!
The new features of this model are:
- Water resistance to 50 meters. You can swim with it! It does not, however, provide swim data (See the Garmin 910XT if you’re interested in your swim metrics) .
- 10 hour battery life in GPS mode and 6 weeks in standby mode (you get 2 more hours of GPS mode use with the 220 than the 210).
- A built-in accelerometer. You no longer need a foot pod! Like the foot pod, the built-in accelerometer measures the user’s pace and distance while running without GPS and also provides cadence data.
- Pace alert (formerly known as pace buddy)
- Personal records are stored on the watch.
- Extended timeout can be set on race day to give you 25 minutes before the watch times out and goes back to time of day.
- Satellite data download. By connecting the watch through USB or Garmin Connect Mobile, 7 days of satellite data from all over the world is downloaded to the watch. This will make acquiring satellites significantly faster.
- Downloadable training plans.
- Vibrate alert.
- Run-Walk alerts
- Auto pause
- Auto scroll (automatically scrolls through screens).
- 3 screens, 2 of which you can customize (the third is the heart rate screen which cannot be changed).
The watch with a heart rate monitor included is priced at $299.99; without the monitor it is $249.99.